This post may contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Looking for lovely middle names for Mary? Then you’ve come to the right place. Below you’ll find 101 names that go well with Mary.
Mary is the perennial girl’s name. The name has been popular for centuries, and its timelessness and simplicity helps it continue to hold its appeal with parents around the world.
Mary is the classic biblical name, as the name of the mother of Jesus. Mary and her name have become symbols of motherhood, purity, and faith within Christianity.
Mary has been used as a name in English-speaking countries since the 12th century (source). Notable Marys in history include: biblical Marys such as the mother of Jesus and Mary Magdelene, royal Marys such as Mary Queen of Scots and Queen Mary II of England, and famous authors like Mary Shelley (Frankenstein) and her feminist mother Mary Wollstonecraft, who wrote A Vindication of the Rights of Woman.
Below you’ll find a list of middle name ideas for Mary, each with their meaning and origins. And if you like traditional names like Mary, you may also like my list of middle names for Mabel.
Now, on to the middle names for Mary!
Meaning & popularity of Mary
The name Mary has a rich history and has been used in many cultures and languages throughout the centuries. It is believed to have originated from the Hebrew name Mariam, which means “wished-for child”, “bitterness” or “rebellion”.
Mary held to #1 spot in the U.S. from the late 1800’s until 1947 when it briefly dipped to #2 when it was dethroned by Linda (data pulled from the Social Security Administration database). By the 1950’s though, it was back to the #1 slot and didn’t start slipping from the top 3 until 1967.
While Mary doesn’t feel on-trend today, it still remains a solidly popular choice for American parents. In the last decade, Mary has sat around the 120’s on the U.S. popularity charts.
Join our baby name facebook group!
Love chatting about baby names and trends? Join the discussion over on our new Facebook group. Plus, get FREE help finding the perfect baby name!
Best middle names for Mary
Whether you’re looking for a classic, timeless middle name or something more unique and modern, you will find the perfect match among these handpicked middle names for Mary.
Popular middle names for Mary
These middle names have been popular choices for parents naming their daughters Mary. I particularly like Mary Louise and Mary Margaret since both work as beautiful double-barrel names.
- Mary Anne: “Grace; Merciful”; Hebrew
- Mary Claire: “Bright; Clear”; French
- Mary Elizabeth: “God is my oath”; Hebrew
- Mary Ellen: “Sunray; Shining light”; Greek
- Mary Grace: “Goodness; generosity”; Latin
- Mary Jane: “God is gracious”; English
- Mary Katherine: “Pure”; Greek
- Mary Louise: “Famous warrior”; French
- Mary Margaret: “Pearl”; Greek
- Mary Rose: “Rose; Flower”; Latin
- Mary Victoria: “Victory”; Latin
Unique middle names for Mary
If you’re looking for a middle name for Mary that is far from ordinary, we’ve got you covered with our list of unique and one-of-a-kind middle names that will make your Mary stand out from the crowd!
Of these unique names, Mary Maple has great alliterative flow and a pop of fun. Mary Dawn is also a lovely option, as Dawn hasn’t been seen on the U.S. top 1000 names since 2000 (data from the social security administration).
I also have a soft spot for Sable as a middle name. I suggested the alternatively-spelled Sabal for my own baby as I hoped to find a baby name with Florida roots.
- Mary Aria: “Air; Song”; Italian
- Mary Blossom: “Flower; Bloom”; English
- Mary Cedar: “Strong and sturdy”; Latin
- Mary Dawn: “The first appearance of daylight”; English
- Mary Dove: “Symbol of peace”; English
- Mary Elara: “A cheerful and happy individual”; Italian
- Mary Fable: “A short story with a moral”; English
- Mary Fern: “The wing of comfort”; English
- Mary Gaia: “Goddess of the Earth”; Greek
- Mary Hazel: “The hazel tree”; English
- Mary Ivy: “Vine”; English
- Mary Laurel: “Laurel tree”; Latin
- Mary Lily: “Symbol of purity”; Latin
- Mary Maple: “Tree”; English
- Mary Niamh: “Bright; Radiant”; Irish
- Mary Phoenix: “Dark red; Crimson”; Greek
- Mary Sable: “Black”; English
- Mary Vesper: “Evening star”; Latin
- Mary Willow: “Freedom”; English
Pretty middle names for Mary
Adding a pretty middle name to the timeless classic of Mary can create a beautiful and elegant combination. In this section, we’ll present some of the prettiest middle names that will bring out your Mary’s graceful charm!
- Mary Mae: “Pearl”; English
- Mary Abigail: “My father’s joy”; Hebrew
- Mary Aurora: “Dawn”; Latin
- Mary Celeste: “Heavenly”; Latin
- Mary Charlotte: “Petite”; Germanic
- Mary Diana: “Divine”; Latin
- Mary Elise: “God’s promise”; French
- Mary Gabrielle: “God is my strength”; French
- Mary Isabel: “God is my oath”; Hebrew
- Mary Juliette: “Youthful”; French
- Mary Lucille: “Light”; French
- Mary Octavia: “Eighth”; Latin
More beautiful middle names for Mary
If you’re looking for more inspiration, we’ve curated a list of even more beautiful and enchanting middle names that will elevate the charm and grace of your Mary to the next level.
I love Mary Maxine for a full name for Mary. And, Mary Adelaide and Mary Harper have a lovely blend of classic and modern.
- Mary Adelaide: “Noble kind”; Germanic
- Mary Alexandra: “Defender of mankind”; Greek
- Mary Alice: “Of the noble kind”; Germanic
- Mary Anastasia: “Resurrection”; Greek
- Mary Angelica: “Angel”; Latin
- Mary Annabelle: “Graceful and beautiful”; French
- Mary Antonia: “Priceless one”; Roman
- Mary Arabella: “Yielding to prayer”; Latin
- Mary Beatrice: “Blessed one”; Latin
- Mary Bernadette: “Brave as a bear”; French
- Mary Bernice: “Bringer of victory”; Greek
- Mary Brooke: “Small stream”; English
- Mary Caroline: “Strong”; French
- Mary Constance: “Steadfastness”; Latin
- Mary Cordelia: “Heart”; Latin
- Mary Delilah: “Delicate”; Hebrew
- Mary Dorothea: “Gift of God”; Greek
- Mary Edith: “Prosperous in war”; English
- Mary Elaine: “Shining light”; French
- Mary Eleanor: ” Shining light”; Greek
- Mary Emilia: “Strength”; Latin
- Mary Eugenia: “Well-born”; Greek
- Mary Evelyn: “Wished for child”; French
- Mary Faith: “Trust and belief”; English
- Mary Felicity: “Happiness”; Latin
- Mary Florence: “Flourishing”; Latin
- Mary Francine: “Free one”; French
- Mary Genevra: “Fair one”; Welsh
- Mary Georgina: “Farmer”; Greek
- Mary Gwendolyn: “Blessed ring”; Welsh
- Mary Hannah: “Grace of God”; Hebrew
- Mary Harper: “Harp player”; English
- Mary Helena: “Shining light”; Greek
- Mary Henrietta: “Ruler of the home”; Germanic
- Mary Imogen: “Maiden”; Celtic
- Mary Jacqueline: “Supplanter”; French
- Mary Jeanette: “God is gracious”; French
- Mary Josephine: “God will add”; Hebrew
- Mary Lillian: “Lily”; Latin
- Mary Lorraine: “Kingdom of Lothar”; French
- Mary Magdalene: “Of Magdala”; Hebrew
- Mary Marcella: “Warlike”; Latin
- Mary Marina: “From the sea”; Latin
- Mary Matilda: “Strength in battle”; Germanic
- Mary Maxine: “Greatest”; Latin
- Mary Miriam: “Wished-for child”; Hebrew
- Mary Naomi: “Pleasantness”; Hebrew
- Mary Olive: “Symbol of peace”; Latin
- Mary Penelope: “Weaver”; Greek
- Mary Philomena: “Lover of strength”; Greek
- Mary Rosalind: “Pretty rose”; German
- Mary Sage: “Wise; Healthy”; Latin
- Mary Savannah: “Grassy plain”; Spanish
- Mary Sierra: “Mountain range”; Spanish
- Mary Susanna: “Lily”; Hebrew
- Mary Theresa: “Harvest”; Greek
- Mary Vivienne: “Life”; French
- Mary Winifred: “Joy and peace”; Welsh
- Mary Wren: “Small songbird”; English
Sibling names for Mary
Perhaps you stumbled on this page looking for names that go well with Mary for a future sibling. If that’s the case, here are name ideas for brothers and sisters of a Mary. Someone who likes the name Mary likely appreciate its timelessness and simplicity so below you’ll find siblings for Mary with similar style.
Brothers for Mary
Sisters for Mary
Similar names to Mary
If you love Mary but aren’t sure its the one, you may enjoy some of these names similar to Mary. Given their closeness to Mary, they’d also pair well with the Mary middle names found on this list above.
What Name Goes Well With Mary?
Here are some things to remember when choosing a middle name for your daughter.
Firstly, consider the sound and flow of the name. A good middle name should complement the first and last names, creating a harmonious and pleasing combination. Say the full name aloud to see how it sounds, and make sure it rolls off the tongue easily.
Secondly, think about the meaning and significance of the name. A middle name is an opportunity to add another layer of meaning to your child’s identity. Consider choosing a name that honors a beloved family member, friend, or historical figure. You could also opt for a name that reflects your values, aspirations, or cultural heritage.
Thirdly, take into account the origin and history of the name. Consider choosing a name with a strong connection to your cultural background or a name with historical or literary significance. You could also look for names with a unique and interesting story behind them.
Fourthly, consider the popularity and trendiness of the name. Remember that your child will carry this name for their entire life, so choosing a name that will age well and remain relevant is important. You may want to choose a classic and timeless name or one currently trending but not too popular.
Choosing a middle name for your daughter is a personal decision that should reflect your taste, preferences, and values. Take your time, research, and consider all your options carefully. With some thought and effort, you’ll find the perfect middle name for your little girl.