50+ Mean Girl Names That Rule The School
Looking for names for those mean girls in your story, or perhaps simply enjoy the allure of “mean girl” style names? I’ve analyzed name trends, dived into forums, and scoured pop culture to bring you this curated list of girl names with a little edge.
Below you’ll find names with a sharp edge, names that seem tough, and names inspired by iconic mean girls from pop culture. So, buckle up and let’s dive into the world of mean girl names.
[DISCLAIMER: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, INCLUDING AMAZON ASSOCIATE LINKS WHERE I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES. THERE IS NO COST TO YOU & THE COMMISSION HELPS SUPPORT THIS SITE]
Before we dive in, it’s important to clarify that “mean girl” names is not meant as a judgment on a name or person. It is only meant as a way to capture a style of name based on pop culture associations. These names have been selected based on their associations in pop culture and the vibes they give off, not because they are inherently “mean.” Names do not define character and this site never judges names.
What makes a name a mean girl name?
A “mean girl” name typically evokes an image of a confident, self-assured, and sometimes manipulative or ruthless person. They often have a sense of sophistication and style, making them seem cool and popular but also intimidating. These names may be associated with characters from movies, TV shows, or books who have mean girl energy.
However, it’s essential to remember that a name does not determine a person’s character. This list is for entertainment purposes and to inspire writers looking for the perfect name for a fictional mean girl character.
Join our baby name facebook group!
Love chatting about baby names and trends? Join the discussion over on our new Facebook group. Plus, get FREE help finding the perfect baby name!
Iconic mean girl names from pop culture
Let’s start by looking at some of the most iconic mean girl names from movies, television shows, and books. These characters have earned their spot in pop culture history for their attitude, style, and memorable moments.
These mean girl characters highlight a diverse range of personalities, backgrounds, and motivations. While some are outright antagonists, others have redeeming qualities or go through personal growth and improvement throughout their story.
Mean girls on TV
- BLAIR: Blair Waldorf is a wealthy and cunning socialite from the television series “Gossip Girl,” known for her manipulations and elite status.
- CHERYL: Cherly Blossom is a wealthy and privileged character from the television series “Riverdale.”
- MONA: Mona Vanderwaal is a clever and manipulative mean girl character from the television series “Pretty Little Liars.”
NELLIE: Nellie Olseon was an 1800s mean girl as a spoiled and bratty character in the “Little House on the Prairie.”
- BREE: Bree was a mean girl in the TV show Glee played by actress Erinn Westbrook
- QUINN: Also from Glee, Quinn Fabray was a popular and ambitious high school cheerleader who often exhibits mean girl behavior in pursuit of social dominance.
- CORDELIA: Cordelia Chase was originally a mean girl character on “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” but enjoyed a redemption arc as the show progressed.
- ALISON: Alison DiLaurentis is the enigmatic and manipulative queen bee from the television series “Pretty Little Liars,” known for her ability to control and intimidate others.
Movie mean girls
- AMBER: Amber von Tussle is a privileged and spoiled antagonist in the movie Hairspray
- HEATHER: Heather Chandler, Heather Duke, and Heather McNamara are the ruthless popular clique from the movie Heathers
KATHRYN: Kathryn Merteuil, the manipulative and vindictive character in “Cruel Intentions,” is known for her scheming and seductive ways.
- REGINA: Regina George, the ultimate mean girl from the movie Mean Girls, is the epitome of high school queen bee.
- SHARPAY: Sharpay Evans is the ambitious and self-centered queen bee in High School Musical
- TAYLOR: Taylor Vaughn is the epitome of high school mean girl as the popular and mean-spirited cheerleader from the classic teen romcom, “She’s All That.”
- VERONICA: Veronica Sawyer is the protagonist turns into the ultimate mean girl in the movie Heathers
- MADISON: Madison is the mean girl character in the film adaption of DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend.
Mean girl names from books
- CAROLINE: Caroline Bingley is a snobbish and vain character from Jane Austen’s classic novel “Pride and Prejudice.”
- FAYE: Faye Chamberlain is a witch in pursuit of more powers in the “Secret Circle” series by L.J. Smith.
- INGRID: Ingrid Magnussen is a manipulative and murderous mother character in “White Oleander” by Janet Fitch.
- MASSIE: Massie is the bossy queen bee in “The Clique” by Lisi Harrison. The character has redeeming qualities and befriends the main character throughout the book.
- JAVOTTE: Javotte was the name of one of Cinderella’s evil stepsisters in Charles Perrault’s version of the fairy tale (source). In the Disney version, her name is Drizella.
- TRACY: Tracy Flick is a highly ambitious and ruthless high school student in the novel “Election” by Tom Perrotta, which was adapted into a film starring Reese Witherspoon.
- AMY: Amy Elliott Dunne is the cunning and manipulative character from the crime thriller “Gone Girl” by Gillian Flynn, which was later made into popular movie.
Sharp and edgy girl names
Now let’s turn to names that could have mean girl style. While these names aren’t associated with a pop culture character, they could easily fit in with queen bees and “it” crowd.
First, let’s take a look at edgy girl names that have an effortlessly cool vibe.These names have a certain sharpness and edge to them, making them perfect for a mean girl character or simply for those who like names with a little bite.
- SCARLETT: This name has a bold and fiery feel to it, perhaps in thanks to its association with the bold color red.
- VALENTINA: Valentina is a Latin-derived name that means “strong,” making it an on-point name for a strong-willed girl.
- IVY: A name inspired by nature, Ivy has a mysterious and perhaps sinister vibe.
- RAVEN: Raven is a name that can have dark and brooding associations, thanks in part to it’s Edgar Allan Poe association.
- VENUS: Named after the Roman goddess of love and beauty, Venus has a powerful and seductive aura.
- LILITH: Lilith has been associated with darkness, rebellion against God, and evil through literature and mythology (source), giving this name a defiant edge.
- MORGANA: Morgana sounds conspicuous and strong, making it a great name for a someone of prominence with hidden depths.
- IDA: In addition to being a name, Ida is a type of West African sword, making it literally a sharp name for a girl (source).
- ASTRID: A Scandinavian name meaning “divine beauty,” Astrid has a sharp and sophisticated sound.
- GERTRUDE: Gertrude is a strong German name that means “strength of a spear,” making it a timeless and truly sharp name.
Tough and strong mean girl names
These names evoke strength and resilience, perfect for a mean girl character who doesn’t back down from a challenge.
- ALEXIS: Alexis has a no-nonsense sound that can hold its own in any situation.
- ATHENA: Athena is one of the toughest girl names perfect for a mean girl. Athena was the Greek goddess of war (if you love Athena, don’t forget to check out my list of names that go well with Athena)
- BRIANNA: This name, meaning “strong and virtuous,” is perfect for a character who is tough and determined.
- CAMERON: Unisex Cameron has a strong and modern feel, making it a great choice for a self-assured mean girl.
- DELILAH: Though Delilah has a soft sound, its association as a bad girl in the bible who uses her charms to trick and take down a powerful man gives it a cunning and powerful edge (source).
- MATILDA: Matilda is an English name that means “strength in battle,” perfect for a strong mean girl name of someone out to get what she wants.
- ISA: Isa is a fashionable name fitting of a mean girl. This strapping name means “strong-willed” coming from German.
- JORDAN: A unisex name with an air of strength and independence, Jordan is a fitting choice for a strong-willed character.
- KENDALL: Kendall has a modern and assertive vibe — thanks in part to socialite titan Kendall Jenner — making it a great name for a character isn’t afraid to go after what she wants.
- CASSANDRA: Cassandra has a great meaning for a strong girl. The name means “to excel” and also has roots in Greek mythology.
Girl names with a hint of mischief
These names have a playful and mischievous quality, perfect for a mean girl character who enjoys stirring up trouble and keeping everyone on their toes.
- LUCY: With its playful and disarming sound, Lucy would be a charming name for a trickster girl.
- FELICITY: Meaning “happiness,” Felicity is a charming girl name. For millennials, Felicity may conjure up images of the bold but sometiems reckless American Girl.
- AITE: Aite, also spelled Ate, was the Greek gooddess of miscief and ruin (source)
- GEMMA: Gemma is a glittering that means “gemstone.” Much like a shining jewel, Gemma has a captivating quality.
- HAZEL: Hazel is a trendy and spunky name. In pop culture, the name Hazel was known as a sassy and leading maid in the 1940’s comic (source)
- IMOGEN: A name with a classy and lively sound, Imogen is spirited name meaning “maiden.” If you love the name Imogen, explore some charming Imogen middle names.
- JASMINE: Jasmine, thanks to the association with the independent and resourceful Disney character, feels like a name for a spirited and strong-willed girl.
- TRIXIE: Trixie is an on-the-nose name for a trickster.
- LOLA: With its fun and flirty sound, Lola is a name that’s perfect for a character who loves to be the life of the party.
- ROBIN: This classic unisex name can also be a subtle nod to mischief, thanks to it also being the name of the trickster Puck in Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
I hope you found the perfect edgy and cool name to add to your name list.
Again, these names were chosen for their associations and vibes; no name is inherently mean and a name’s inclusion here was not meant as a judgment. This list is meant to entertain and inspire, not to label or stigmatize anyone.
If you’re looking for more edgy girl names, you may also like my list of boyish girl names.