[DISCLAIMER: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, INCLUDING AMAZON ASSOCIATE LINKS WHERE I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES. THERE IS NO COST TO YOU & THE COMMISSION HELPS SUPPORT THIS SITE]
Looking for librarian names? Then you’ve come to the right place. Here you’ll find a list of 125 librarian names perfect for your librarian characters or scholarly babies.
It includes famous and fictional librarians, book-inspired names, names meaning wise and knowledgable, and names with that learned librarian vibe.
This list is great for people who are looking for bookish name ideas for their baby. Librarian-inspired baby names are respectable and academic, and perfect for lovers of books and knowledge.
Or, perhaps you stumbled on this page as an author looking for inspiration for your latest work. I hope this list gives you many name ideas for your future librarian characters.
Below is a well-researched list of names related to librarians. I spent hours trying to hunt down every pop culture librarian reference there is. I then turned to my database of over 2000+ to find names with meanings associated with librarians, like wise, knowledgeable, scholarly and intelligent.
And if you’re looking for names that would suit a librarian character without a glaring library-theme, I’ve got that for you too. Up first are a list of names have a serious, calm or bookish vibes, perfect for a bibliophile.
Now let’s book it to the names (librarian-pun intended!).
Table of Contents
Names for librarian characters
First up are names that would be great for librarian characters in your next novel. These names are sincere and wise, without being too overtly library-themed.
The list includes a mix of name styles, including: soft and calm names like Ezra and Adelaide, older generation names like Faye and Gene, and names that feel sober and thoughtful like Prudence and Solomon.
Girl librarian names
Boy librarian names
Fictional librarians in television
Next, let’s turn to some famous librarians from pop culture. The first set of fictitious librarian names are from popular television shows.
Of the names below, is there a more perfect librarian depiction than Tammy, the diabolical librarian from Parks and Rec (here’s a best of Tammy II montage if you need a refresher)?
- Joe: Lt. Joe Bookman was a “library investigator” guest character in Seinfeld
- Mrs. Hushbaum: Mrs. Hushbaum was the name of comedic “loud librarian” character on Nickolodean’s All That
- Rupert: Rupert Giles was the name of the librarian character and mentor of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
- Tammy: Tammy II is the name of the loathed librarian in Parks and Rec
- Tasha: Tasha, better known as Taystee, works in the prison library in the show Orange is the New Black
- Zelda: Zelda was the name of the head librarian character in the show the Magicians
Names of librarians in movies
Then, we have librarian character names from movies. These librarians come from classic movies like It’s a Wonderful Life to recent iconic films like Ghostbusters.
- Abby: Abby is a librarian in the film series National Treasure
- Alice: Alice was the name of the librarian character in Ghostbusters
- Alicia: Alicia was the librarian character name in Storm Center
- Brooks: Brooks Hatlen was the prison librarian in Shawshank Redemption
- Bunny: Katharine Hepburn played a librarian named Bunny Watson in the movie Desk Set
- Evie: Evia is the librarian name in the Mummy
- Flynn: Flynn is the name of the protagonist librarian in the film series the Librarian
- John: John Lewis was the name of the librarian protagonist in Only Two Can Play
- Marian: Marian Paroo was the name of the librarian love interest in the film and musical the Music Man
- Mary: Mary is the name of the librarian in the classic Christmas movie It’s A Wonderful Life, and also the name of Parker Posey’s character who is forced to work in a library in the movie Party Girl
Librarian character names from books
Our last set of librarian character names come from books. As librarians are lovers of books, these literary librarians are perhaps the best of the pop culture librarians.
We are currently reading Matilda with our toddler and I am looking forward to him getting introduced to Matilda’s lovely librarian, Mrs. Phelps.
- Ardelia: Ardelia is the name of the librarian in Stephen King’s Library Policeman
- Barbara: Barbara Gordon, better known as Batgirl, was originally a librarian in the DC Comic series
- Belle: Belle is the name of the main character in the Personal Librarian
- Charlie: Charlie is the librarian character’s name in the book Twelve Angry Librarians
- Conan: Conan the Librarian is a popular literary play on Conan the Barbarian
- Darcy: Darcy is a librarian in the novel Secrets in Summer
- Henry: Henry was the lead character who was a librarian in the novel the Time Traveler’s Wife
- Irma: Irma is the name of the Hogwarts librarian in the Harry Potter series
- Mrs. Phelps: Mrs. Phelps is the librarian in the classic children’s book Matila
Famous librarian names
Here are names of famous librarians in history. These real-life librarians helped shape the public library system we know and love today, ran our national libraries and created fundamental library processes like the Dewey Decimal system.
- Carla: Carla Hayden was the first woman and first African American to serve as the Librarian of Congress
- Golda: Golda Meir was a librarian before becoming the prime minister of Israel
- Franklin: Benjamin Franklin is credited with founding the first public library in America
- John: John Beckley was the name of the first librarian of Congress
- Lawrence: Saint Lawrence is the name of the patron saint of librarians
- Melvil: Melvil Dewey is the name of perhaps the most famous librarian who created the Dewey Decimal system.
- Nancy: Nancy Pearl was a famous librarian and author from Seattle
- Robert: Robert Digges Wimberly Connor was the first Archivist of the United States
- Sarah: Sarah Askew established county libraries in the U.S.
- Trudy: Trudy Huskamp Peterson was the first woman Archivist of the United States
Names inspired by books
Turning now to name ideas that are inspired by books themselves. Of the names below, I love the name Quill and could see it becoming a fashionable, unique baby name. Teagan and Kalima would be good options if you’re looking for a more subtle book connection.
- Aesop: Aesop was a fabulist known for Aesop’s Fables
- Booker: Booker is a name meaning “scribe” or “one with books”
- Ceridwen: Ceridwen is a Welsh name meaning “poetry.”
- Enitan: Enitan is a name coming from Yoruba that means “person of story”
- Fable: a fable is a short story used to convey a moral
- Kalima: Kalima is an Arabic name meaning “word”
- Paige: a name inspired by book pages
- Penn: Penn is a great unisex name that can be a nod to the writing instrument
- Quill: Quill is a cool and unique answer to Quinn, and is another writing instrument name
- Reed: Reed, a homophone of read, is a subtle book-themed name
- Saga: Saga can be a name meaning “story”
- Sonnet: a sonnet is a type of poetry, perhaps most famously popularized by Shakespeare
- Story: Story may not seem like a name but it has been used by a few celebrities for their babies
- Teagan: Teagan is an Irish name meaning “little poet”
- Verse: Verse would make a cool name, which means “writing with rhythm”
Names for librarians that mean knowledgable, wise & studious
Finally, we close this list of librarian names with names that mean knowledgable, wise and studious. Many of these names have meaning that connotate wise advisor or wise counselor, which is quite fitting for a librarian who guide people to knowledge.
These wise and intelligent names would be a subtle and lovely connection for a librarian character. I particularly like Cato and Veda.
- Akilah: intelligent
- Alden: wise friend
- Alfred: wise counsel
- Alvis: all wise
- Arisanna: deep rooted knowledge
- Athena: goddess of wisdom
- Cassidy: clever
- Cato: all knowing
- Conroy: wise advisor
- Dara: pearl of wisdom
- Favian: man of wisdom
- Hubert: bright
- Hugo: intellect
- Idris: studious
- Mendel: learning
- Minerva: of the mind
- Monica: to advise
- Quinn: wise
- Sage: wise
- Shannon: wise river
- Skyler: scholar
- Sonia: wisdom
- Sophia: wisdom
- Veda: knowledge
- Zosia: wisdom
Looking for more name ideas? You may like: