This post may contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Looking to find the perfect grandma nickname? Check out this list of 99 pretty and cool nicknames for grandma the future grandmother in your life.
Much like how baby names have gotten more creative with each generation, grandmas are also on the hunt for unique and cool nicknames. Maybe Grandma feels too old, or perhaps your grandchild needs a nickname that’s easier to say.
Or, if you’re lucky enough to have multiple generations, having options for grandma names is also helpful in distinguishing between grandmothers and great-grandmothers.
Luckily there are so many grandma name alternatives. I’m a researcher who analyzes names so I curated this list of names for grandmother to save you time on your grandma nickname searcher. I hand-selected these names from my search of forums, websites, pop culture and other languages.
This list has something for every type of grandma, including: traditional grandmother nicknames, modern and cool nicknames, unique grandma alternatives, and grandma names from around the world.
And don’t forget to check out these cool grandpa names too!
Be warned though, you may find the perfect grandma nickname but at the end of the day, a toddler usually gets the final say. Who knows what cute grandma names the grandkids will come up with once they can talk!
Traditional Grandmother Nicknames
First up we have more traditional alternative names for grandma. These more old fashion grandma names are ones you’ve probably heard or even used in the past.
For example, I called my own grandmother “Grams.”
Of the names on this list, G would make an effortlessly cool grandma nickname and Grandmimi is particularly sweet.
- Maw (a grandma nickname with Golden Girl vibes)
- Mom-mom (a grandmother nickname in the mid-Atlantic region like Pennsylvania)
- Gan / Gan-Gan
Cool Grandma Names
Like the famous Mean Girls’ quote goes, you’re not like a regular grandma, you’re a cool grandma. So obviously you need a cool grandma name to match.
Below you’ll find a list of modern and cool grandma nicknames ideas.
Related Posts: 40 Cool Girl Names with Boyish Nicknames
Maybe the future grandma in your life is a cool modern grandma called Glamma like Goldie Hawn or called Honey like Sharon Stone. Pixie and Bella are particularly cool names for grandma too.
You’ll also find some pretty grandma names on this list like Anya and Ona.
- Zanni (the grandma nickname of Suzanne Summers)
- Glamma (a name popularized by the famous Goldie Hawn)
- Nini (the word for grandmother in Sudanese)
- Honey (the grandma nickname of Sharon Stone)
- Bomma (Flemish name for grandma)
- Teta (Arabic nickname for grandmother)
- Lela (a nickname for the abuela)
- Marmee (the name of the grandmother character in Little Women)
Unique Grandmother Names
Next up we have unique grandma names. These nicknames don’t immediately shout grandma but would be sweet, special names to share with a grandkid.
From the unique grandma nicknames below, I’m partial to Boo and Trix, which I’ve loved since I first heard it on Gilmore Girls.
Also, having a grandmother “Lolly” and a grandfather “Pop” would be almost too adorable.
A name like Lala or Ya would be easy for a baby to say, which is key if you want to be strategic and have your name to be one of the first words your grandkid says.
- Bunny (with the cute nickname Bun-bun)
- Lovey (the grandma alternative used by Kris Jenner)
- Tutu (Hawaiian nickname for grandmothers)
- Lola (Filipino name for grandmother)
- Avia (Latin for grandma)
- Ya (Thai nickname for grandma)
- Trix (the nickname of Rory’s grandmother in Gilmore Girls)
- Banana (a cute play off the ever-popular Nana)
- Lolly (pair this one with Pop for grandpa!)
Grandma Nicknames From Around the World
Finally, below are different names for grandmother used around the world. Each includes the language where the grandmother name originated.
You’ll find some cute words for grandma on this list like Oma and Avino.
I studied Swahili in Tanzania so I have a personal soft spot for Bibi, and also think it would be easy for a toddler to say. Mummo and Pog are funky grandma nickname options too.
- Bubbe (Yiddish)
- Savta (Hebrew)
- Nene (Turkish)
- Mummo (Finnish)
- Yiayia (Greek)
- Oma (German)
- Bibi (Swahili, this grandma name also means ‘lady’)
- Nyanya (Swahili)
- Ommu (Icelandic)
- Avino (Esperanto)
- Avoa (Gallego, a language of northwest Spain)
- Abuela (Spanish)
- Bubushka (Russian)
- Ouma (Afrikaans)
- Jadda (Arabic)
- Baba (Macedonian, though also a common father & grandfather in other languages)
- Halmoni (Korean)
- Beppe (Western Frisian, a language of the Netherlands)
- Ugogo (Zulu)
- Pog (Hmong)
- Grandmere (French)
- Sobo (Japanese)
- Amona (Basque)
- Lao lao (Chinese)
- Nenek (Indonesian)